Friday, January 9, 2009

Down to the teeth

I went to the dentist yesterday, and the news I received wasn't all that surprising. As a college student who relies on herself for sustainability, there are certain things that must be sacrificed so I can obtain others. One of those all important things: Healthcare.

I've been paying increasing attention to my health, my body, and what I put inside it. I brush twice everyday, along with using Listerine. I've been flossing every night before the Listerine. I'm experiencing the consequences of that sweet tooth. 2 root canals, and all 4 wisdom teeth need to come out. I have to make up for the time I've lost taking care of my teeth. I definitely do not have the funds required to pay for such dentistry. I don't have a full time job to provide the benefits I need, and I certainly can't afford it myself. This is one of the reasons why it's so important for me to obtain a full time job after graduation. I need to grow up.

Life will never be the same as it was, and I feel there will be a shift in the atmosphere. I took the bus to work this morning, drowning in the soft melody of Goapele and her soulful sound. It was reminiscent and comforting to be enveloped in that calmness. As I walked the four blocks from the bus stop to the House of Blues, the songs continued to envelope me that I didn't want to let go of that feeling. Which is precisely why I'm choosing to remember it here.

Oh beautiful world. I want to hide from you, but I want to embrace your warmth at the same time. I'm not ready for you, but I don't want to miss out on everything you're willing to give me. I want to get closer to my dream. Higher..and higher..and higher...

Goapele - Closer

No comments: