Friday, February 13, 2009

Polka dots on the edge of the spikes

This semester is my final test on the road to a bachelor's degree. I'm excited for it, but I'm also going to be pooped out by it. In terms of managing time, it's not that I can't, I just don't have the time to do absolutely everything I need to do, yet still get enough sleep and energy to continue it the next day. This continuum of sleeplessness is going to get the better of me, but definitely not the best.

Since I had the morning off today, I decided to make Alex some lunch. I naturally enjoying making lunch and cooking for him, but I'm a little disappointed in the turnout of my creation. He wanted fried rice with chicken and spam, and I overcooked the rice =(. I'm usually not a bad cook, but sometimes, rice just gets me. That's what I get for not eating it that much.

I'm also baking some cupcakes and a mini-cake for Josh and the box office. After last night's stressful shift, I feel that everyone deserves a little treat. There are people who work so hard in there, and people who don't give a shit. I really appreciate the people there, and I'm grateful for them because of their uniqueness. Talking to Brad at Sunset made me appreciate them even more.

Yesterday, I was yelled at by customers so many times. It almost got to me, but I took a deep breath, and resumed the polite banter I usually do with guests. It's not fair to take it out on others if one person gives me a hard time. My manager also commented on how I never ask for help, and I don't think it's something I like doing. It just felt good to hear him say it. Over the last couple years, he's grown into a bigger brother for me, and that's something that keeps me sane there at the box office. He's one of the few who actually notices my work, and appreciates it.

The year is leading up to various different checkpoints in my life, and I don't want to think about the aftermath just yet. I just want to bide my time. See how things turn out. My determinism refuses to wane.

I'm in this for the long haul.

No comments: